No reopening till the scientific information helps it
All faculties have to be supported to perform as group faculties with sufficient numbers of counselors and nurses and group/dad or mum outreach employees
Protected situations together with decrease class sizes, PPE, cleansing, testing, and different key protocols
Equitable entry to on-line studying
Help for our communities and households, together with moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, offering direct money help to these not in a position to work or who’re unemployed, and different essential social wants
Moratorium on new constitution or voucher packages and standardized testing
Enough and equitable funding, by federal stimulus
Large infusion of federal cash to assist the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Avenue
● The pandemic has exacerbated variations between unionized and non-unionized retail employees:
Because the begin of the pandemic, unions have helped bolster security protocols for retail employees, given them assist to push again on choices that put them in danger, and allowed them extra affect over choices that impression them straight. In some instances, Appelbaum stated, the RWDSU and different unions had been in a position to negotiate increased pay, higher severance, and extra advantages comparable to paid day off to permit employees to quarantine or get well from sickness, the place mandatory.
● Classes from the Amazon tax victory in Seattle.
● Totally steam forward on reopening faculties? No manner, say academics, write Monique Dols and Peter Lamphere:
Lecturers acknowledge the tutorial and socioemotional injury that’s being completed to college students by distant studying, and we desperately miss our college students and lecture rooms.
However many people are coming to the conclusion that any opening of college buildings, nonetheless partial or “hybrid,” carries large dangers and might’t be achieved safely—particularly whereas the group unfold is growing nationally.
● New York state legislature considers extra whistleblower protections—necessary at any time, important throughout the pandemic.
● Rushing up poultry traces in a pandemic places employees’ lives in peril.
● Ten higher makes use of for 10% of the Pentagon price range. And by the way in which, there’s bipartisan assist for chopping the Pentagon price range by 10%.
● Concern at work: An inside account of how employers threaten, intimidate, and harass employees to cease them from exercising their proper to collective bargaining.
Curiously, in June round 70% of the UI recipients who returned to work had been making extra on UI than their prior wage, and but nonetheless returned to work. pic.twitter.com/MsKz50kFFz
— Ernie Tedeschi (@ernietedeschi) July 21, 2020